Friday, February 18, 2011

Forgiveness Quote

So I'm not a huge Oprah fan, but I do watch her show. It's a weird love/hate relationship I have with her:) However, I was watching a show yesterday that I had DVR'd a few weeks ago, and she was interviewing 2 girls that had horrible things done to them by their family members. At the end of the show Oprah looked at them and told them her favorite saying about forgiveness. She said that someone had once told her:

"Forgiveness is giving up the hope that the past could have been any different." 

I loved that. It's almost like you decide for yourself you can't change it...it is what it is...now it's time to move on from it. I think wanting to make the past different is what we hold onto so hard that we can't let go and forgive. This past week marks the year anniversary for me of where I had to choose to begin the journey of forgiveness. I could have gone the other way and let myself be consumed by bitterness, but I'm so thankful to the Lord he showed favor on me and walked with me down another road. I'm a completely different person now because of His glory and mercy. I'm forever grateful.

Well, I really didn't mean to write all that...I just wanted to have that quote posted somewhere I could keep it safe! With this pregnancy brain, I forget too many things!

1 comment:

Kim Timberlake said...

At Beth Moore's Bible Study last week she was talking about forgiveness and she mentioned this same episode of Oprah! I love the quote...thank you for sharing it.

I'm so grateful God brought you through a rough time and that through His grace and mercy He gave you the grace and mercy to forgive. God is so good and faithful!