Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Writing Brain

So TAKS test is upon us! I'm sure all my fellow teachers are feeling the heat right about now. It is overwhelming, frustrating, tiring...you get the idea. I absolutely can't stand this time of year, and I am so ready for TAKS to come and go far far away! Anyways, for third grade, we take the reading test on Tuesday. In my classroom, I have them write next to each answer choice where they found the answer in the story. For example, if they find the answer in paragraph 4, they must write "p. 4" next to their answer choice. Well, every now and then, they come across an answer choice they can't find in the passage, and in that situation, they write "brain" next to the answer. This is letting me know they had to get the answer from their head (using prior knowledge).

Today I had a long speech with my kids b/c so many of them were getting lazy and writing "brain" for too many answer choices. They didn't want to go back in the story to find the answer, so they took the easy way out. After my long presentation giving good examples and bad examples, one of my boys quietly goes, "man, I'm really gonna miss writing 'brain'".

I just thought it was really funny how upset he was about it:)

1 comment:

Amy and Matthew said...

I feel your pain! My sophomores take the ELA TAKS on Tuesday as well, which consists of reading, short answer, essay, and revising/editing. I'm nervous for them and hope I did everything right! I hate TAKS days though...we can't do anything and I feel brain dead by the end of the day! haha So have fun on Tuesday like me! :)